Monday 5 May 2014

Tenth Week: Practice

Practice is the repetition of a task over a period of time and can be used to learn, improve or maintain a current physical or psychological variable. There are many methods to modify how an individual practices - this is important to know as physiotherapy practitioners. Depending on the treatment goal, physiotherapists usually give patients exercises to practice (as a patient, it is wise to adhere to these). Patients may be asked to practice strengthening, motor control, stretching and/or breathing tasks. The phrase 'practice makes perfect' is not always true, but it sure can help. Subsequently, this week a classmate and I practised (on Monday) for a mock exam on Tuesday - the real practical exam will come at the end of semester one. Mock exams enable us to quantify how much and specify what we need to study. The practical exam requires each student to perform one therapeutic task taught in PHTY254. We were not told which task we needed to preform until five minutes before having to demonstrate the task. In that five minutes we need to prepare the equipment and environment. Also in that preparation time, it is important to recall details about the task (because the examiner will scrutinize your method and therapeutic rationale) and to be able to adapt it on the spot if prompted by the examiner (they like to put us on the spot). The assessment must be done professionally, as if it were a clinical situation (...introduce yourself, gain informed consent and thank the patient afterwards, etc). After the mock practical exam, I figured that I was on track and needed to revisit righting reflexes observable in balance examinations. I will have another practice closer to the practical exam.
A classroom used for PHTY254 at the School of Physiotherapy

PHTY254 content took a shift from musculoskeletal techniques to cardiorespiratory. Our lecture and labs covered risk stratification given the presence of risk factors or disease. The lab centred on quantifying body composition, so we were busy pinching each other's fat folds with callipers!! I bet you're imagining what number would come up if you were measured right now. Not to worry, there is a large amount of error when novices measure. In my previous Physical Education (Sport Science) degree, I became certified with the International Society for Kinanthropometry (ISAK) so currently my skill level is still above that of my classmates (but they gave me some nice numbers, which I felt happy with given my current level of physical activity). They'll get better with practice!

My 3rd year physio flatmate also asked for an opportunity for her to practice her manipulation skills on my thoracic spine. It was brought about by a conversation at lunch where she tried to get me to practice my subjective assessment on her. When she hinted that she was keen for a participant to practice manipulation on, I took the opportunity to volunteer and we raced down to the physio clinic lab rooms for her to practice. Apparently there are a few methods to manipulate the spine. Whatever she done, released the nitric oxide, making the popping noise - success!! I felt fine, and we continued separate ways to our own labs that followed. I look forward to learning these skills next year!


Even the skeletons are sociable!
Social events continue to take place. For the next fortnight the annual Otago University Students Association (OUSA) Capping Show is being performed. This is a theatrical production set to offend you and make you laugh. The 2014 theme is 'A Capping Carol: The Night Before Hyde Street'. For those who are not familiar with Hyde Street in Dunedin, it is a common venue for recreational couch burning (usually put out by the fire service and you may be arrested by the police) and once a year it is home to an all day street party for thousands of dressed up students.

Another social event [taking place next week] is the 'Inter-faculty Stein' - this is a health-sciences student organised drinking occasion / night out. Students are encouraged to dress-up in their faculty colours (Dentistry = white, Physio = pink, Pharmacy = green, Medicine = blue) and party! I think I'll pop along to this one!
  
In-class events next week: The second physiology mastery test, our last physiology lab on cardiology and I begin clinical placement next week. I am placed in the outpatient clinic at Dunedin Hospital. There will be plenty to discuss next week!

The faculty event this week was an information day for first year health science students. Physio students and staff were on hand to answer any questions they have about choosing a career in physiotherapy.

My dentistry friend and I made a weekend dash to Wanaka to climb a mountain!!

I've put in some video clips that I have found to be interesting. The first one is on physical activity, the second one is on stress.


That's all for this week... back to the books!!



No comments:

Post a Comment